|Although the complex vaulting of this eivan is of a considerably later date, the eivan itself is probably one of the remains of the original design of the Mosque. In particular because there is a fragment of
brickwork to the left of the adjacent mehrab of Oljeitu which clearly pre-dates Oljeitu's famous stucco masterpiece, which would hardly have been placed in an uncovered area. This indicates that an early
tunnelled vault undoubtedly stood on this site.
According to Honarfar the original building dates from the early 12th century, the roof was rebuilt by the pious Shah Soltan Hossein in the eighteenth century, who covered the original plain brickwork with the current plethora of tiled inscriptions and decoration
The decoration is particularly interesting because it incorporates a wealth of symbolic references to the concept of 'reflection'. On either side are mirrored kufic panels. Another panel is used, almost as a 'leitmotiv' throughout the decoration appearing at ground level and also in the vault. where the date 1700 C.E. (1112 AH) is also recorded.
The mehrab is excepted from this treatment as its geographical imperative precludes mirroring. Instead the architect has placed a tilework panel which includes raised tilework sections and whose design mirrors the traditional form to which it adheres. The traditional form is derived from the name of God, 'Allah' which in Kufic Arabic, consists of four verticals and a square.
Last Updated: 23 April, 1999