Here you can see the ruined remains of the old Seljuk mosque completed in 1105. The dome, with its slightly pointed top is typical of those in the villages and towns surrounding Isfahan, and similar ones can be seen at Dashti and Kabutar Abad. It shows evidence of recent reconstruction and older photographs of
the same mosque show a second window on the left hand side of the dome which now appears to have been filled in.
There are the remains of an inscription on the inside of the dome which probably indicated the name of the patron, however this is so dilapidated as to be illegible. The inscription starts with the opening verses of the 48th Sura, known as Fath or Victory. This may have something to do with the accession of Berk-Yaruq's half brother, Muhammad Tapar to the Seljuk sultanate in that year following the death of Berk-Yaruq, the last year's of whose reign had been taken up with a struggle between the two.
In spite of its dilapidated appearance the mosque is still in daily usage although the ubiquitious persian pigeon is probably the most frequent visitor judging from the condition of the interior. The mehrab is extremely fine with impressive carvings and calligraphy.
Last Updated: 5 April, 1999